Thursday, July 3, 2014

Disappointment with Professionalism

Not sure where the official book of professionalism is published but it would be nice to pull excerpts and provide quotes in memos, emails, conversations and social media posts about professionalism especially when someone you work with or associate with on a professional basis displays unprofessional behavior.  I can hear myself now saying in chapter 5 it clearly says that is inappropriate behavior.  Yet, professionalism is never cut and dried and it can be a subjective continuum.

I have to admit I am a bit of perfectionist and want and need to do things right.  It is character trait bred into me by my parents and possibly being the middle child.  So when people slip up and I get the short end of their professionalism or lack thereof, I get a little miffed. The tidbit of information was just too great not to pass on despite directions to keep things on the silent side.  I get particularly bothered by board members who do not keep business information confidential or when people circumvent the proper change of command because it works to their advantage.

Usually people disregard professionalism when it is more rewarding for them to not be professional.  In their minds, it is more advantageous for them to do the other thing.  It seems easier to patch the professionalism at a later time than to honor the designated system.  Some people may trip over the rules due to ignorance, but that is a rare thing.

There is also the consideration that the subjective slide of relativity may slant their idea of professionalism, but that argument is hard to believe because most people would scream loudly if someone treated them in a similar manner.  Most people know when they have received the short end of professionalism.  Even animals know when they have been treated unfairly, but that is another subject.

I am also hard on myself when I fall short as well.  I have said my fair share of apologies and I learned that it is best to say them as soon as possible and repeat them from time to time for my own sake as much as it really does bother me to dump on someone else no matter what the issue is.  I was caught up in the moment and the words came out.  I knew better.  So I do give unprofessional glitches somewhat of a pass in others.  After all no one is perfect including myself.

Forgiveness is great and I am glad for it, but back to this standard of professionalism.  No one polices it and one can go for years and never feel the bite of their own lack of professionalism or do they?  I know my opinion of others has changed when I have witnessed or been the brunt of their lack of professionalism.  It bothers me even when a favored friend or colleague messes up without remorse.  Not that there are out in my book, but do I trust them down the road if the pattern persists?

Life, people, colleagues and friends are going to disappoint and yes, we will even disappoint ourselves.  That is the nature of living, but far too often people think more of themselves in their actions than really what is best for others or the situation. I like the statement, “Treat others like you would like to be treated.”  This is great advice because nearly everyone knows how they would like to be treated.  Following this advice would go a long way in improving professionalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment